I’ve been making this tasty pea soup for many years, we love it for lunch or as a light dinner. In my family, there are vegans and meat lovers so I am always trying to adapt recipes to make life easier. You will be pleased to know that this recipe can be tweaked for vegans, vegetarians and meat lovers.
This particular soup is loved by many cultures, but it is more embraced among colder climates. Though this recipe has no meat, it is very thick and dense with meaty tones. So, what gives it this unusual character?
You’ll find many people use frozen or fresh peas for quickness, but this only produces a watery flavour. The traditional way is to use dried peas, which lifts it to another level of flavour and meatyness.
Pea soup is very high in protein and very high in fibre, it more than covers your 5-a-day, that’s why everyone should eat it. And, although it is quick to prepare, the hardest part is switching the slow cooker on and waiting for the grand finale.
Chef's Pea Soup Notes & Tips
Using dried peas may seem like an effort compared to emptying a packet of frozen peas straight into a pan. But, you’ll just have to believe me when I say use marrow fat peas and soaking them overnight will give this soup a much more intense flavour…trust me you won’t regret it!
I prepare everything the night before by soaking the peas and cutting up the veg ready to switch on and leave to cook in the morning ready to eat in the evening with some chunky bread. There's nothing more inviting than the smell of this gorgeous after a hard days work.
This soup is loved by vegans, but if you’re a vegetarian a little Parmigiano is amazing, or if you’re a meat lover then add a little shredded ham hock for a more meaty flavour.
Tools To Make Pea Soup
It makes your life easier when you prepare foods with the correct kitchen appliances. Here’s what you need to get started:
Step By Step Instructions:
- Soak the peas overnight in the water or stock of your choice.
- In the morning add the soaked peas and stock to your slow cooker.
- In a food processor add the red onions, celery, carrots and apples. Chop into small chunks to make cooking easier and quicker, then add to your slow cooker.
- Add the herbs and salt.
- Mix ingredients together and put the lid on.
- Cook for a minimum of 6 hours, or cook on the stove for 2 hours.
- Using a hand blender or your food processor, give the soup mix a blast until creamy.
- If you’re adding ham hock you can add it last. Mix it in or blast together with the soup mix.
*If you use other ingredients or quantities, I can’t guarantee the results.
Pea Soup Nutrition Facts
This makes a total of 6 servings, each serving equates to 62.33 Calories, 2.01g Protein, 0.20g Fats, 8.71g Net Carbs. These calculations exclude optional extras.
Dried Marrowfat Peas
Per 1 Serving